The Spanish Children’s Rights Coalition
The Spanish Children’s Rights Coalition (known as Plataforma de Infancia) is an alliance of not-for-profit, plural, democratic, and politically and religiously independent organizations that work to achieve a full implementation of the rights of children and adolescents.The ‘Plataforma de Infancia’ unites the efforts of all non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders involved with the welfare of children.
Founded in 1997, the ‘Plataforma de Infancia’ set as its mission to join nation-wide organization that focus on the wellbeing of children and to develop a space for coordination of the protection and promotion of the rights of children and adolescents in Spain, in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
The organization works within the framework of the aforementioned Convention, adopted by the UNGA in 1989, aiming to protect the rights of every human being below the age of 18 years, assuring that no boy, girl or adolescent should ever be treated as an object of charity but rather as subject of general and specific rights, relevant to the special interests and needs.
Our objectives are:
- To raise awareness about the rights of the children.
- To develop the dialogue, the collaboration and the participation of all private and public organizations related to the welfare of children and the application of their rights.
- To promote general and specific policies, that promote the welfare of children and especially of those children in situations of individual or social risk.
- To encourage the participation of children.
- To report the situations where violations occur of the rights of children by public or private institutions or individuals.
These objectives will be accomplished with the following actions:
- An exchange of experiences about the promotion and protection of the rights of children between the organizations of the Childhood NGOs Platform.
- Investigation of initiatives of child participation in social, educational, labour fields and also in the family and during leisure time.
- Participation in national as well as international forums.
- The donation of educational materials and information to professionals, volunteers and people who are sensitive to the rights of children.
- The acquisition of documentation about children in a theoretical framework as well as experiments in the fields of law, education and psychology, ect.
- Elaboration of materials about the rights of the children.